Sunday, August 17, 2008

Xterra Mountain Championship

Ogden, Utah. I felt like I did pretty well, just like at Tahoe last year. But when I looked at my result I didn't do too well overall. I guess altitude also affects your perception of reality.

I think my swim went really well, I saw some pro swim caps around me. On the bike I deviated from my stragtegy and went too hard too early on the climb when one of the top female pros (Shonny Vanlandinham) came by me. I stayed on her wheel for a while before I blew up so that was encouraging. Last year she passed me like I was standing still.

Despite that irrational exhuberance at the beginning of the bike, I never felt like I was in over my head. Every time I hit a wall I was able to recover and keep pushing. The bike was nearly all climbing, but on the downhills I could have descended more aggresively. However I felt I was in contention so I wanted to be conservative and not crash or flat on the rocks hidden under the dust.

The run could have been better if I had fueled more intelligently durring the bike, but I had my moments like running up the steepest part of the ski hill where everyone else I saw was reduced to walking.

I think the last 1/3 (last hour) of my race (at the highest altitude) is where my performance started to fall off. Probably both dehydration and altitude were the cause. I had a few problems on the run like falling and scraping up my knee and a really bad side stitch for the last 2 miles, but I kept going and missed my time goal by only 1:45. I was making up ground quickly on 6th and 5th in my AG before the cramping became debilitating. Oh well, my overall time was about 15 minutes better than last year.

Overall I finished 7th AG. I finished 7th at Richmond and sixth at Alabama. A pretty consistent season overall. I know where I need to improve to do better next year. I'm am encouarged because in the past any race at altitude and I would perform far below my capability, but now I think I am learning how to train and prepare for it.

Overall it was a good race and a good season. The regional point series title is now a sure thing. That's 5 time champ if you're counting.

I'm skipping Nationals this year so I can get some rest and start building a base for cyclocross.

I can't wait for the Temecula West Championship next year.

No comments: