Monday, October 29, 2007

ABD Sunrise Park Cross

A strong field toed the start line on Sunday. All the usual suspect were there plus a few fast mountain bike racers.

The course starts with a series of switchbacks after about a 200 yard, modererate incline leadout. I wanted to take the holeshot and see if I could create a gap through the turns. I got a good start and went through the switchbacks first. Unfortunately due to the skill of the other riders, the small field, and my lack of a burst of speed, I didn't create the gap I envisioned. Half a lap in other riders came around me but I guess I was too gassed from the start and I couldn't hold their wheel.

I fell back to 8th or 9th place, eventually worked my way up to fifth, but lost the sprint for fifth and finished 6th. This was a tough course that put less emphasis on cross skill and more emphasis on power and fitness. There were lots of long straightaways with very few places to recover.

Dougherty is in awesome shape right now kicking everybodies butt and looks like a strong contender for the state championship race next month. Knauft is riding into shape and he will be fearsome once he gets a cross bike or at least takes the water bottle cages off his mountain bike.

In the 4A race Tim rode a solid race to place 5th. He should be ready to upgrade to the 3's soon. Also, my friend Adrian, who has been training with me and Ken on Wednesday nights at Humbolt Park, had a great race and finished 4th in the 4B race.

No comments: