Monday, July 28, 2008

DINO Xterra New Castle 2peat

A large contingent of GetAGrip racers came to NewCastle for the xterra race Saturday – and I got to meet a few new faces from the team – Derrick even introduced himself with a handshake as he blew past me on the run! I had won the woman’s race here last year, so was hoping for a repeat. I had spoken with Bev earlier in the week and she had a calf muscle pull, so I knew she would just be managing herself on the run, and I had to wonder if any of the new faces at the race would be my competition. I exited the water same time as last, and heard them announcing the first woman was already heading out on her bike! I knew I had my work cut out. I did catch her within probably 3 miles on the bike, and I noticed her long skinny legs, and thought she must be one of those fast swimmer/runners! So I better get a good lead on the bike. I rode pretty well, nothing spectacular, I think with a couple of reroute they put on the course, it was a couple minutes faster than last years course. Heading out onto the run I heard Bev coming in from the bike –she out split me by 2 minutes – I better get working harder on the bike! I suffered on the run, my run has just abandoned me at every race this year. I’ve been working hard in training, but its just not showing on my run splits – 2 minutes slower run this year compared to last. But I did manage to hang on for the win by 4 minutes.

The team had a great showing! I admit its fun to have all you guys blast by me on the bike and run shouting encouragement – it gives me a lift each time someone goes by. Next up is Logansport Aug 16.

1 comment:

Ted said...

nice job, you pretty much locked up the point series title with this victory.