Monday, July 21, 2008

Xterra One

Brandon and I traveled to the greater Cleveland area for the inaugural Xterra O.N.E. at West Branch state park. I like racing in Ohio because one of my first Xterra's was at Paint Creek state park back in 2000, and in 2006 I won my only Xterra ever at the Mad Dog Triathlon.

After Brandon and I pre-rode the course on Saturday, I knew this would be a mountain bikers course. The track is scary fast with lots of tight turns between trees, and many roots and boulders to disrupt your momentum. This will be a fun race.

Race Day

At the gun I mark Cayo Ramirez, but I can't stay with him because he is drafting off Peter Hanson. At the turn around they have about 50 yards on me. I finally get past some dude who kept swimming into me and I get into a groove. I exit the water in 6th but my awesome transition skills get me to the single track in second place (I think).

Riding the middle ring, I feel good and quickly catch Hanson. After I pass him I lose control in a muddy section and crash into a tree and he catches up to me. Just as I build another lead a pedal catches a rock, nearly throwing me over my handlebars and derailing my chain off the crank. I get off the bike to fix it and Hanson catches me again. I take off riding a little more cautiously than before.

At about the halfway point I realize I'm in first because I surprise the spectators and course marshals as I ride by. At the only open section of the course I look back and see I have a big cushion because no one is in sight. The rest of the ride is lonely and I focus on riding smart to avoid any crashes or mechanicals. At T2 I confirm I'm in first because there are no other bikes in the rack.

I take off out of T2 like I stole something because I don't know if any of these local Ohio racers are good runners. I attack the boulder climb in the first mile and I feel good. About 3 miles in I get comfortable and put it on cruise control. All of a sudden someone sneaks up behind me and they are less than 30 seconds back. Fear and adrenalin kick in and I take off. I drill it to the end and end up taking the tape.

Mad props to Brandon for taking second in his age group. These points put us both in 1st in our respective age groups for the Xterra regional point series.

Next up Xterra DINO New Castle.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Ted - I was at Mad Dog too (before I knew you guys) and won my first race there also - small world!

nice job on another win! see you in New Castle.