Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First cross race of the season

I wanted to get a jump start on the season and get a race in before the first Chicross race in Jackson park. So I left Friday, slept in my car and arrived in Davisburg MI on Saturday. Arriving early allowed for plenty of practice loops on the course to develop a race strategy. With many off camber 180 degree turns I wanted to make sure I had plenty of traction so I set my tire pressure low.

I line up for the start and get into the top five off the line. Then as we hit the first gravel section about 15 seconds into the race I hear a pop and the air burst from my tires. Dang, something similar happened to me at Jingle Cross last year. DNF? nah, I drove to far to get here, make it to the pit and swap bikes.

After spotting everyone a minute and a half lead I get on the gas and ride a steady TT attempting to catch as many riders as possible. At the end of the race I passed over 20 riders and ended up in 12th.

Disappointed, I'm going back to Chicago.

No comments: