Monday, September 29, 2008

Ithaca Grand Prix

This weekend there were a couple big UCI cyclocross races up in Madison. Disappointed that there wasn't a Cat 2 race, I sought out somewhere else to race. I found the Ithaca Grand Prix in MI as an alternative to the Madcross presents Jonathan Page's Planet Bike Cup in Madison.

I attended this race last year and it was a well organized race with a fun and challenging course and a generous post race raffle.

After another night of sleeping in my car, I got to the course early and scouted it out. I made a last minute decision to change my tires and as a result I got a second row start spot. There was a 200 meter hilltop prime right after the start and I figured I would rather start conservatively and ride steady. I missed the hilltop sprint and before I knew it I was at the back of the pack. It took one lap to pass the fast starters and catch the leaders.

I rode behind them for two laps studying their strengths and weaknesses. I didn't want to be a wheel sucker so I attacked after 3 laps. I had a decent gap until I had a mishap remounting my bike after a run up and crashed. Slightly dazed I got up and was passed by two riders. Luckily, neither the bike nor I were damaged in the crash. It took a while for me to get back in a rhythm and catch up to one of the 2 leaders while the other guy was starting to build a bigger lead.

I noticed that they were learning to take corners better and it would be harder to catch the leader. I also knew that attacking in the same place as last time would not have the same effect so I needed a new strategy. Three laps to go and I bridge the gap to the leader with power moves in the open sections. Unfortunately the third place guy was able to sit on my wheel so we were back to a group of three battling for the win.

I sit in and bid my time looking for an opportunity. 1 1/4 laps to go and I attack in the spot that I crashed. I figured they wouldn't expect it there. The remount is followed by a climb and an open section and I pour on the power. I create a nice gap and now I need to ride smart and smooth for one more lap.

1/2 a lap to go and I see one guy hasn't given up yet. I accelerate in all the open sections and go as fast as I can in all the running sections. I've done this in training and know I can hold on until the end. Everything goes perfectly and I come across the line for the win.

This win has been a long time coming. My last victory in a bike race came in '01 in the citizen class MTB race at Kickapoo.

Post race I got a cool 1 X 9 t-shirt that happens to match my Salsa Chili con Crosso.

No comments: