Friday, December 12, 2008

Illinois State Championship - Montrose

Thank goodness the season is finally over. I've been going all out since I started the season in March and I am beat.

I didn't really want to do this race because I had a pretty good feeling where I would finish, I've lost the motivation to push through the pain in an hour race and it's friggin' cold outside. On the way home from Jingle Cross Tim convinced me to not punk out and finish what I started. So instead of taking a much needed break I pushed on for one more week.

I signed up hoping my form would magically turn around and my legs would feel less tight and fatigued. Unfortunately there were no Rocky Balboa-like finishes and I finished at the back of the pack in an uneventful finish to the season.

Oh well, at least the course had a lot of fun and challenging elements. I even had some fans out there encouraging me during the race. Brandon and Derrick didn't race but they braved the cold weather to come out and cheer. Derrick even brought a set of drums so he could bring the noise every time I rode by.

Tim had a great race in the 3's and he looks to have good form. He signed up for Nationals but unfortunately he's not taking his own advice and he's skipping it.

He earned an upgrade to 2 and it will be nice racing with a teammate in the 1/2 races next year. Given all the good guys in the 3's upgrade next year, the field for the 1/2's should be fairly large and really competitive. It will be fun next year.

I'm kind of down about my season right now just because I feel like crap but I had some success.

- competed in 20 races
- Victory at the Ithaca (MI) Grand Prix
- 13th in the 1/2/3 Chicago Cyclocross Cup Series
- 7th in the 2/3 Tailwind (MI) Series
- Upgrade to Cat. 1

Now I look forward to some time off and then some unstructured training before I ramp it up for the 2009 Xterra season.

No comments: