Monday, April 27, 2009

Xterra Red River







I went to Oklahoma this weekend to get in a practice race before the all important Xterra NC Cup at Fort Custer on May 17th. After a preride I could see this course will be good practice for the courses I will be racing later this year. The bike is very similar to courses like O.N.E. and Last Stand and the run is just as tough as the Torn Shirt trail.

The swim was shortened to just 500 meters due to strong winds creating pretty big waves in the small lake. I didn't like that but it is actually to my advantage since I am not the strongest swimmer. I sat in a draft to conserve energy and I get out of the water in 15th place but I stepped on something that cut my foot open underneath my big toe and my index toe.

Due to my awesome transition skills I get on the trail in 8 or 9th place. My foot really hurts and I can pedal my bike without any problem but I hope it won't affect my run. After saving my energy on the swim, I attack the bike course on my Titus Fireline 29er and get the lead within about 4 miles. From there I try to ride smooth pushing my limits on the climbs but otherwise trying to ride safe and maintain a comfortable lead. 3 miles to go and I notice my tire is folding over under cornering pressure. Either I burped some air or I have a slow leak. Now I am riding even more carefully in the corners and hoping to get to transition without stopping to fix it. I get caught by one rider as I come into transition.

I take the extra time to put on a sock on the cut foot. Just worried about getting a lead on the other guy, I don't even think about if my foot hurts. I go hard to build a lead so he is out of sight, but soon the paranoia of who else may be catching me from behind sets in. I am now the hunted and my biggest enemy is the heat. I am unaccustomed to sunny 85 degree days from training in the midwest. I put out my best TT effort but it doesn't feel that fast. If I see anyone behind me, it's over, I don't have an extra gear to shift into. I'm on the limit. My best strategy is to not blow up so I take it fairly easy on the hill climbs even walking up some of the steep ones.

I finally make it to the open road and I run in to take the tape in 1:49. First victory of 09, 3rd victory in my Xterra career. 15th fastest swim, 2nd fastest bike, 2nd fastest run.

Post race I really paid the price. Dean warned me not to wear racing flats, but I did for their light weight advantage and my feet took a pounding. The balls and heels of my feet feel bruised, blisters are everywhere, not to mention one big gash on my right foot. If you saw me limping around the airport later that day, you would have never guessed that I had just won a race.

This race was a good indicator of what I need to adjust in order to elevate my game for Fort Custer and I think I will be ready.

No comments: