Thursday, May 14, 2009

ABD Team Time Trial

Tim convinced me to do the 40 K team time trial out in some far western suburb this past Saturday. Dean was doing it too, so the chance for a little friendly competition drew me in.

We get a nice warm up in and show up to the line when we find out we missed our start. We had to re-sign up and wait around and go last. In Grand Tours it is an honor to go last but in this case it was kind of a hassle since we were all pumped up and ready to go at our original time.

I tell Tim that the wind is at our back on the way out and will be in our face on the way in. I want to start out conservatively so we have something left in the tank for the headwind. After Tim takes his first pull he is probably dropping 400 watts and that strategy flys out the window.

I was able to withstand the thrashing Tim gave me and we came in in 56:33 winning the cat 4 title. Dean was right behind us in 56:46.

Sunday I was really excited to head out to my cousins' house in New Lennox and go bike riding with them. They are way better athletes than I was at their age and I'm not just saying that to be nice to little kids. It's true. They are interested in doing a triathlon so I'm going to help show them the ropes and give them a little training advice.

They told their 500 times from the last swim meet they did and they are faster than me and only 1/3 my age. Dang, I think I'd smoke them on the bike though.

I helped fix up their bikes and then we went out for a ride. They have pretty solid basic skills on the bike. I think I can mold them into champions.

We might try out a relay together as Team Ramos and then they will do the Tri Masters South Shore Kids Triathlon in August.

No comments: