Monday, May 18, 2009

How soon is now? or Revenge of the Deaner


This past weekend was the Xterra Midwest Cup at Fort Custer state park in Michigan. As long as I have been doing Xterra's (11 years), it has been my goal to finish on the podium in my age group at an Xterra Cup race and qualify for the Xterra World Championship. This goal has been elusive to say the least.

At first I wasn't very good at this triathlon stuff, so qualifying was just a pipe dream. But as I got better, it seemed like something would always happen at regional championship races that would take me out of contention. In Xterra so much can go wrong whether it is a bike mechanical, a flat tire, a crash, lack of altitude acclimatization, cramping, digestion issues, or dehydration. You name it, it has happened to me. People I race with would always say, "don't worry, you'll qualify this year." But every year the competition would get a little stronger, the game would be elevated a little higher, and the goal of qualifying would always be close but just out of reach. I figured I was cursed and destined to forever be the underdog.

Back to the Michigan race, I studied the start list and formulated my strategy for this race. Given the strengths and weaknesses of the other competitors I figured my best strategy would be to swim as hard as I can to minimize the number of people I have to pass on the single track, push hard early in the bike to get towards the front of the pack, then wait for fast bikers to pass me and get on their wheel and ride with them. Then hopefully I will have enough to get through a relatively flat run.

Everything about this course plays to my strengths and I have confidence that I just might be able to finish top 3 in my age group and possibly within top 20 amateur overall.

At the beach start I look for my friend Dean Hewson. I don't know if I can swim on his feet for very long, but if I can get out to the first buoy in a good position I might be able to find a good draft. Everything goes right and by the end of the 2nd lap I see the green and pink swim caps of a few pros just ahead of me. I am told by a spectator that I am 15th amateur out of the water.

Onto the bike I hammer to the first section of single track and pass a bunch of people. I know I can put out this effort because once I get to the single track, I'll get stuck behind some slower riders who are great swimmers and have plenty of time to recover. So far everything plays out perfectly and I'm moving to the front of the pack. Eventually Jim James catches me and I am able to stay on his wheel. This is a breakthrough moment because in all the years I have been racing Jim, anytime I came out of the swim ahead of him, he would promptly ride me off his wheel. Soon Scott Gall catches us and we are like a train. Jim drops his chain and falls off the pace but then we pick up Jenny Smith and keep on chugging along.

Onto lap 2 Jenny picks up a water bottle and she falls off the pace. Scott and I keep pushing each other and I feel I am near the front of the amateur field because I just passed a bunch of really good pro women. Now my goal is to put as much time on the field as I can before the run. I finally pass Dean and I know he is having a great bike ride. I expected to pass him much sooner. For all I know he could be first amateur.

I take some liquids and Scott promptly rides away from me. Lucky for me Jim catches back up to me and we take turns pulling all the way into transition. The race announcer says we are second and third amateurs into transition. I can't believe it, but now my goal is to hunt down the guy in first place.

The first lap of the run is lonely but I feel pretty good. As I exit the woods I see Dean about an eighth of a mile back. Eventually he passes me at about mile 4. Now self doubt starts to creep into my head. Who else is coming from behind? Turns out, it was no one. I cruise in behind Dean and finish 3rd amateur overall and first in my age group. I punch my ticket for the World Championships with the race of my life.

Never before has a race performance surpassed my expectations but this performance blew my mind. Everything went exactly as I planned and nothing went wrong. I was only 1 minute behind the first amateur Blake Vogues. At all my other Xterra cup races I never finished higher than 6th in my age group and I usually finish about top 50 overall or worse.

I'd like to give props to Dean for chasing me down and finishing second. He said he was having a great race too. I'd like to think we pushed each other to great performances.

Right now I'm riding high and feeling pretty good about achieving a goal I never thought I'd achieve. Now my ambitions for the 2009 Xterra USA Championship are much greater and I look forward to seeing how far I can take this.

3 comments:

The Legend of Hill said...

That is awesome man! Congratulation on putting everything together. Keep crushing it.

B

cheryl said...

fantastic race Ted - congrats on the Maui slot!

Ken said...

Nice! Truly inspirational and hope I can be at the podium someday too...