Saturday, May 30, 2009

Night Moves

Friday I can't wait to go out for a ride after work. As I leave my house a creaky bottom bracket caused me to turn around and try to fix the problem. That's what I get for riding in the rain so much. I had to take apart everything and put it back together again. Determined to not be stopped, I turn my after work ride into a night ride.

I love riding at night. It's like I have the Lakefront path all to myself.

If these power meter readings are accurate, I'm getting pretty good at this bike riding thing. I'm not putting out Klug-like numbers yet, but still pretty good. I can see a lot of improvement since the end of cross season. I can cruise along at a pretty decent clip without getting the heart rate up too much.

I notice a new trend lately that kind of pisses me off. People are starting to walk their dogs while they ride along on their bikes. Way to take up the whole bike lane while you cruise along at a brisk 5 miles an hour. And the roller blading dog walker take up even more space. Ass holes all of you.

This trend is not just limited to the lakefront path. I saw one guy in Bucktown sketching off his dog while it pulls him along on his fixed gear. I can see that resulting in a tragic ending. What an ass hole. Then I saw a lady riding with her dog on the wrong side of the street as she approached the intersection of Milwaukee and North. With her horrible bike handling skills she's yanking on the dogs neck and barely avoiding crashing into both cars and pedestrians while fighting to stay upright. What an ass hole.

On my way home as I ride through downtown. A lot of people are out on Friday night. People notice me but generally I'm just an object of mockery. I'll occasionally see the couple and the boyfriend will point at me and they'll share a good laugh. He probably cracks a weak joke like, "look at the fruit in tights." The girl will laugh, but she probably notices my lean body, perfectly shaved legs, ripped muscles working in perfect synchronization with my bike and she secretly thinks, "he could ride me sometime." LOL, at least that's what I say to myself in my mind.

And when people yell, "hey it's Lance Armstrong," that's getting kind of old. It was cool when people would say that to me back when Armstrong was a champ, but now he is just an aging pro past his prime. I think I would prefer to be referred to as an old pro who's time is now. Next time someone sees me I want someone to say, "Hey it's Menchov." That would be cool.

Riding Kettle tomorrow with my peeps. I look forward to it and I should go to sleep now.

I wonder what Popper's doing...

1 comment:

tyuska said...

There's a lot of hate in that post. Haha.

If you're wearing the Dinotte just hit them with the 800 lumens of blindness!