Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So THAT is what intervals feel like?!?

Had a great weekend and netted a 3rd at the Wonder Lake Crit. Well run event on nice smooth roads that proved to be plenty wide despite many racers comments.

I did my first ever structered trainer interval workout this morning. Goal was 6 x 2min with 3 min rest. Wow, those suck! They will probably become "fun" in a sadistic kinda way as I see my power increase, but I had to bag the first one at 1:20. I was able to regroup and finish the other 5 once I knew what kind of suffering to expect.

I am humbled after reading about JPow doing 400watts for 5min just to "open up" the legs. I'll just have to keep chipping away at that rock.

J-Pow's Journal:
I was doing an opening-up work out for an upcoming 'cross weekend last November: five minute efforts at 400 watts and I noticed this young dude with a cut off t-shirt, Vans sneakers, Camelbak and a 1980’s Motobecane with down tube
shifters. I rode by and said ‘yoooo’, focusing on the task I had in front of me.
After five minutes I glanced back and I hadn’t lost my man with the Motobecane.
“WOAAAH. REALLY? Could that have just happened?” I thought to myself,"I need to get this guy's info because he’s talented — he just kept up with me on a
30-pound Motobecane and Vans sneakers.
I'm all moved into to the pad with Nicole. We're still trying to find a space for everything, but she's awesome and agreed to clear a space for my trainer. I also got a kick of having my own tifosi this morning too.

I'm sure I thoroughly confused her too. When I pedaled she watched me, when I stopped and the hub of my wheel started clicking she watched the wheel. I got a kick of pedaling, stopping, pedaling, stopping just to watch her.

2 comments:

Ted said...

Keep doing these intervals and pretty soon they won't get any easier, but you'll see your power levels improve. Someday you'll get up to the level of the guy in Vans and cut off shorts.

Ted said...

If guys on Motobecanes and Vans can hold J Pows wheel, I'm pretty sure you can too. Get you UCI license so you can give him a smack down at the USGP of CX.