Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chicked

This weekend was the Well Fit Steelhead 70.3 training weekend presented by Get a Grip. Since I coach the Well Fit Steelhead training group and am on the Well Fit Elite Triathlon team and the Get a Grip Cycling team I figured I better represent. Overall it was a pretty good weekend hanging out with everybody, teaching them triathlon stuff and getting to know them better. I also have a better understanding of the challenges my athletes will face on August 1st when many of them will be doing what will be for most of them their first 1/2 IM.

After a BBQ at the house we rented the drinking games began. I learned that to be on the Elite team you have to be a really good drinker. Long story short, at the prodding of elite teamers Kristen Wrede and Marc Robertson I drank more than I have in a long time, but I also discovered I am pretty good at drinking games.

The next morning the training group went out for their ride on schedule. At the time everyone else was leaving, I couldn't get my fellow elite teamers out of bed. We show up to the staging area long after everyone else was gone. The elite members (Marc, Kristen and me) set out on the ride finally and it seemed like they were hell bent on reeling everyone in.

The initial pace was aggresive and I'm thinking everyone is hung over and is just working out the cob webs. Marc qualified for the 70.3 Championship last weekend and Kristen says she has a stress fracture. They'll probably slow down once cumulative fatige catched up with them.

On we ride forward hammering away. OK, this pace can't be sustained for this long I think to myself after we make the first turn at mile 12. At mile 20 I think, alright, I'm taking soft pulls at the front and sitting on their wheels the rest of the time. At mile 21 I'm feeling ashamed of myself for drafting off a girl. At mile 22 I get over it and draft more. At mile 25 they drop me on a downhill and in retailiation I attack on the next hill and get a pretty good gap. I keep riding a solid tempo at 300 watts and before I know it Kristen has bridged back up to me and she doesn't even look tired. I can't believe it.

Mile 30 I'm feeling pretty gassed and notice my heart rate has been at about 90% of max for a while. So far we are averaging 23.6 mph and most of that was into a soft headwind. The only recovery I get is when we slow down for stop signs, but then we accelerate up to speed as fast as possible.

Kristen is taking the majority of the pulls but when Marc recovers he charges to the front and makes us chase him. At mile 40 I blow and let them pedal away. I soft pedal home battling cramps in my hams and take a short cut back to the cottage.

Postrace, they said they did the ride in 2:16 averaging 23.6 for the whole ride. They reeled in everyone who left a good 1/2 hour before us. I don't know much about IM bike splits but I just read that the winner of the Rockman did his ride in 2:10 and he set a course record. I would guess the profile of that course to be similar.

I have my excuses, but I could say that today without a doubt I got chicked. Kristen is a damn good rider and she needs to invest in a road bike. She could go far in this sport. Marc is pretty good rider too, and I will have to ride with these guys some more as I prepare for Nationals and Worlds.

No comments: