Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Xterra Midwest Cup

Never have your first race of the season be your A-race.

That’s what I was saying last week. An analysis of my training log seemed to point to an abundance of stress: training, work, and home-life stress. That’s why I was feeling so weak and flat, I determined.

So I did what I could to try to bounce back from it. Took another day off, walked to work instead of my usual run from the train. Even took the bus a couple times when I didn’t trust myself to walk. Compression socks, stretching, 10 minute swims. I even went to bed before the third period of the Blackhawks’ big win over Vancouver. Now that’s about as committed to recovery as this Canadian gets!

My own bid to qualify for the World Off-Road Triathlon Championships was only two days away, and I’d managed to ride my mountain bike for 30 minutes since last season. An unplanned stay in a hotel Friday night confirmed that things still did not seem to be falling into place. But don’t worry, I figured, you’re only going to be spending the night before the race in a small tent with three kids who never sleep under the best conditions.

The morning of the race saw frost on the grass. Apparently, the air temperature was 30-something. But for some reason, I couldn’t wait to go swimming in the lake! I don’t know if I was just excited about kicking off the triathlon season or if I just wanted to get the whole thing over with.

Then I hit the water for the “warm-up.”

I felt so much positive energy. I really didn’t care how I did against the others. I was just happy to be there. Jamie Whitmore, the World Champion who has been fighting cancer for over a year now (we met her in Lake Tahoe last October) was there announcing the race, and it’s ridiculous to worry about race performance where there’s someone there fighting for her life. Every time I see her, I want to give her a hug, but she doesn’t know who I am!

As the Pros made their way to the first buoy, they started the rest of us. Next thing I knew, I’m behind a wide row of age groupers but soon found some space, did a loop, ran across the beach, dove back in the water, and found someone to follow. We passed some green caps indicating pro women, and I returned to the beach in 5th. Wow. Where’d everybody go?

Soon on the bike, I heard the familiar, “When you get a chance…” which is what riders say when they want to pass me on the single-track. I move over, wish her a good race, and forge on. But soon I catch her again and sit back for a bit. She’s a Swiss rider trying to catch the American who we can see up ahead, but we’re not gaining. After my reprieve, I re-pass her and pull up to Shonny, the Luna-Chix rider, with the Swiss rider in tow. Eventually, I pass her too, and I realize I’m really feeling strong today.

Then the first climb. Those chicks drop me like I had asked them for a date.

Gone.

Gone – while I’m running up the sucker wondering what happened. I claw back to them before the next climb, just to have them remind me why they’re pros and I… well, I suck, I guess.

A few guys also pass me including my friend and Get-A-Gripper, Ted, who drops me on the same climb on the second loop. But this time, I know that no amount of clawing is going to bring me back to his wheel. He’s flying. I’m all alone, so I just keep at it and try to stay positive.

Jump off at the transition area looking forward to the run, and I almost fall flat on my face. My feet are like frozen blocks. I had no idea how cold they were. I change into my Sauconys, but have to look down to make sure my feet look like they are in there correctly, because I can’t feel a thing. It takes me a full 3 miles before they warm up, but they did, and I got one of two spots for the World Championships in Maui, won my age group by 8 minutes (second overall amateur) and even managed to give that hug. (see attached)
Dean

3 comments:

tyuska said...

I don't see attached? Do you have a slot to Maui AND a restraining order? Nice race!! Way to listen to your body and recover. Wow, walking and sleeping is the key to a 2nd overall? Who would have thought it was that easy?

cheryl said...

awesome race Dean!

Ken said...

Hey Dean, I love your commentary... keep up the good work and thanks for the priceless training advice!