Sunday, July 5, 2009

Whitewater Road Race


Russ convinced me to do a bike race with him up in Whitewater. Generally I don't like to do bike races in the middle of tri season because i learned from experience that one crash can ruin a whole season. Since I did this race last year, I knew there were very few difficult turns and the course seemed reltively safe. This is Russ's first race so I figured I'd race with him and see what he got.

Russ, Derrick and I take the start and we manage to stay near the front and stay out of trouble for most of the race. I felt really good throughout the race working hard but never stuggling. Russ was awesome in his first race, he would often take pulls at the front pushing the pace, and on the climb, even when he got dropped he would catch back up to the pack without a problem.

Last lap, after the last climb I size up the field and there are only about 15 - 20 riders left in the field and Russ and I are well positioned in the front of the pack. I'm confident I can win, I haven't wasted a lot of energy and I still have one strong jump left in me. The long descent launches us toward the finish line at insane speeds. I spin out my gear and try to shift to a harder gear only to discover i'm already in the 53-12. 500 meters to go and people are starting to jump. It's too far for me to take a flyer. I have to decide, go on Russ's wheel on the right side or move to the middle for a better draft. I think Russ went to early and will soon blow so I move to the middle so I can go at 200.

We're riding over 35 mph and get to about 200 when everything falls apart horribly. The 2 guys right in front of me touch wheels and both go down. I have nowhere to go but to follow them, bouncing off the ground. For several minutes I'm laying on my back staring at the sky, nauscious and confused. Eventually the ref car drives up to me and tells me I have to get off the road before the next pack comes through. I get helped up and don't think anything is broken. The guy from Whitewater looks like he is in bad shape. I hope he's OK.

Derrick helps me back to the registration area and he and Russ help clean me up my wounds. You guys are awesome.

The guy who won the race came up to us and gave me and Russ props for pushing the pace and riding hard throughout the race. I guess if I got some props it's all worth it. Respect of my peers, that's what I race for.

I was watching the tour later in the day and thinking those guys have crashes and they have to get up and chase back on after a crash, then they have to ride the next day on a stage that is 3 times longer and the pace is much faster. Then they keep doing it day after day.
You gotta be tough and a little crazy to do this sport.

No comments: