Sunday, January 18, 2009

Time to get back to it....

After some time (I won't say how long) of lack-luster training, it's time to get back moving. I was surprised, though I shouldn't have been, at how out of shape I had become. An extra chunk of weight, paired with much lower power numbers than last year, has me realizing I have a long way to go before the XTERRA season starts this year.

I picked up a used Computrainer, an nice LCD and desktop PC off of Craigslist, and I now have a killer training room set up!

Monday started the training, 20 weeks based on the PIG workouts Tim sent out. With the first week down, I am thinking the numbers were a little low that I have been using, but I'm sure I'll be making up for that in the near future.

Day 1 was a 30 min effort to set up what the PIG program calls CP30 (Critical Power, 30 min). Entering that into the spreadsheet gives me all of the wattages for the weeks workouts.

Day 2 was an interval ride, Day 3 was a tempo ride, Day 4 was endurance, and Day 5 was another tempo ride.

My first week back also included a little sample session at Vision Quest, which I'll do another post of. All said I completed a hair over 7 hours on the bike which I am happy with. I'll do another 1-2 weeks like this before introducing more running into my program to get my weight down. My knees tend to be sensitive to the extra weight and the last thing I want to do is pound them into the ground in January!

The season is approaching quickly!

No comments: