Sunday, January 18, 2009

Vision Quest, Week 1

Well, it's actually week -2. I got a chance to start a couple weeks early, so I get 10 weeks for the price of 8.

Today was nothing more than a coaching class to teach everyone what power can do for us. Many of the people in the class had not only never used power, but didn't necessarily know what watts were.

Dave (the coach) had us do some 1 min intervals with 1 min rest first. Then we hit up some 3 min intervals, followed by 5 min intervals. Each one used to show us all how to use watts and give us a glimpse of our baselines. Luckily I have been using watts for some time, so it wasn't all new to me, but I got an idea of how I stacked up against the class and what riders I can use to push myself. There were 2 guys in particular that are roughly the same size as me, one slightly stronger, one only slightly weaker. This will allow me to judge my progress against the other participants to get an idea of how well I am progressing throughout the class.

We'll see how it all plays out, but worst case scenario VQ has a cool spot on Elston to ride on Sunday's and I get to have a good time riding with a group!

No comments: