Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vision Quest, Week 2

Two down, 8 to go. This week was based mostly on cadence work. Which, come to find out, was a great idea. I thought I'd just coast through the session, get a workout in, and leave happy. To the contrary, it opened my eyes to how much time I spend at a cadence that very well may be too low for me.

Normally during a trainer session I find myself between 80-85 RPM. In this session we did 3 min intervals of 80, 90, 100, 110, and max cadence. I found that my HR and RPE went down while maintaining the same power when I went from 80 to 90, and maybe even to 100 rpm. Good to know!

Next week is the big week, our first threshold test. I can't remember if they said we'd be doing a 30 min or 40 min test, but it's going to be a sufferfest to push myself to the limits I experience when trying my best to keep up with Ted and Tim during our little group rides. It ain't gonna feel good, but I have no desire to sandbag this test!

2 comments:

Ted said...

Interesting, I guess I'm a born masher. It seems like my power goes down and my RPE goes up when I spin higher cadences.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised as well. I am working to keep my cadence in the high-80's now and it seems to be working for the time being.