Saturday, August 25, 2007

Fleet Feet Inspiration from the Pros

Last week I was talking to Conrad Stoltz at Utah and he said he was coming to my hometown, Chicago, for the Accenture Triathlon. Knowing this guy can throw down at the dinner table I offered to take him out for a meal while he was in the city.

He e-mailed me his phone number and said to get in touch with him when he gets in the city. I gave him a call and it was the wrong number.

I called Brandon and our conversation went something like this:

Ted: Brandon, the caveman's just like a woman.
Brandon: Why's that?
Ted: He gave me his phone number, but he gave me the wrong number.
Brandon: Ha, Ha. You should be used to that by now.

That's funny stuff.

I caught up with Conrad at a Fleet Feet seminar featuring him, and Tri pros Jen Shoemaker and Andy Starykowicz. After the seminar Conrad and his home-stay Paul were heading to a party put on by the race sponsors. I gave them a ride to the Chicago Hilton and they let me tag along.

It was a pretty nice party with a chef cooking pasta, a desert table, and an open bar. While I was there I met Triathlon legend Barb Lindquist. She's a really nice lady. I also met Tim McMahon, a guy who works for one of my sponsors, the Active Network. I told him thanks for everything Active has done for me.

Afterward I drove Paul and Conrad home. Paul invited me upstairs to see his place. Wow, if all home stays are like this, this can motivate me to turn pro and get a home-stay instead of staying in the fleabag hotels i usually stay at. His place overlooks Millennium park, has a roof top garden, and a 25 yard pool. Sweet.

Before I left I traded Conrad some of my Snickers Marathon bars for some of his Cliff products.

I had a good time hanging out with Conrad and Paul. Overall, it was a pretty good day.

No comments: