Sunday, August 26, 2007

Xterra Blackhawk

I skipped the Accenture Tri that i had already registered for so I could do this race. My lead in the Xterra point series depends on this race. If I win my age group, I clinch the series title.

Race morning was a disaster. First I notice my tire wasn't holding air. Having flashbacks to the Torn Shirt race where I exited T1 and my tire was completely flat, I go to work to prevent this from happening again. After about an hour of messing around with the sealant trying to fix it, I give up and put my heavier back up tire on the bike.

After that I got on the bike to go for a warm up ride. After about 10 minutes, a stick gets jammed in my rear derailleur and mangles my hanger. Now my bike ghost shifts constantly and is unrideable. I hurry back to my car to get my back up bike ready for the race.

I maintained my focus and was able to go hard for the entire race. I had the 7th best swim, 7th best bike and 4th best run. I gave a good effort, but those stats are deceiving because the best biker in the race really outrode me and the best runner really outran me.

Overall I finished 6th and 3rd in my age group. Not the result I had hoped for. After the last race in the region, I am tied for the series lead with Yaro Middaugh with 217 points each. I'll have to see how the tie breaker goes to see who is declared the regional champ.

No comments: