Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mizuno Cross Country Series Race #1

Today Brandon and I did a midweek cross country race at Montrose Harbor.

It was a hot day where you realy don't feel like running, much less racing. Luckily the race is only a 5K so I can suffer through it without dehydrating myself too badly.

At the start line I can tell the field is stacked. It seems like everyone in this race was wearing xc flats. That's a sign of some serious runners. At the gun a bunch of skinny, little high school runners charge to the front. I knew I couldn't hold their pace so I settled into a group in about the top 30.

About a half mile mile in Brandon passes me and proceeds to drop me on Cricket hill. The heat is killing me and his pace is too fast so I have to let him go. The next 2 miles I slowly reel in some runners who started too fast and are starting to fade. 1 mile to go and I bridge the gap to Brandon. Once I passed him, I didn't see anyone ahead that I could catch. Subconsciously I shut down and cruised in to the finish line about a minute off my PR on this course.

Once again Brandon impressed me with his improvement. If he can stay with me on a 5K run, he's going to start cutting off huge chunks of time on his triathlon runs. It is just a matter of getting that endurance level up.

Universal sole puts on a great race and I recommend it to anyone that lives in the Chicagoland area. The competition is pretty good, they have plenty of postrace pizza and refreshments and it only cost $10. The races are every Tuesday night in August.

Ted: 20:16
Brandon: 20:46

No comments: