Sunday, December 16, 2007

Surviving (and Enjoying) the Snow!

Well, Chicago was hit with 5-6" of snow last night. Many people will remain indoors and off the roads to avoid this mess. What does one do when trying to build their best triathlon off-season after getting hit with snow? They get creative.

Check out this blast from last night:



Running in snow can be fun for a little while, but when trying to log some miles I get tired of "dancing" around trying to stay upright. What makes it even worse is having a spastic dog pulling you around wanting nothing more than to sprint, leaving me flailing to keep from landing on my back.

In the true spirit of slowtwitch.com, I found I thread of a fellow "snow leopard" sharing his secret to winter running: sheet metal screws. With the correct placement you don't stab yourself in the foot and end up with great traction.

Thank you GregX for the recommendation, I'm going to be trying your method today! Here is a photo of GregX's shoes already done:



I only hope mine turn out well. Tonight I'm shooting for about 7 miles, and if these screws work it should save me 4-5 minutes on the round trip. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

tyuska said...

You're going to screw these into your Newtons? Let me know how it works. I'm going XC skiing or snowshoeing in a few minutes from here in central WI.

Anonymous said...

Not into the Newtons! I have a pair of Asics that see winter duty. The Newtons have WAY too much mesh to go outside in the winter....

The LaceDog said...

How did this work on your maiden voyage?

Anonymous said...

lacedog: thanks for asking! The spikes worked awesome, as long as I stayed off of the dry cement. On dry pavement/cement it's a little unstable and makes a clicking noise that's incredibly annoying. So whenever snow/ice wasn't on the path, I'd just go to the side of the path and run in the grass. I'll keep them in for sure this year! I'd guess trail running with light snow would be the ideal situation for the screws.