Tuesday, December 4, 2007

WI State CX Championship



The race that almost didn't happen (for me). Chicago got some nasty freezing rain on Saturday and I was questioning if I would be able to safely drive up to Milwaukee the next morning. Thankfully temps rose above 40 and the ice quickly thawed. Against better judgement, I left my warm bed and got ready to race.

As I was driving North I noticed that WI had received much more snow and much less ice. The course was under about 3 inches of snow with an icy crust on top, it was the consistency of a snow cone. I tried a test lap on my cross bike with comical results. My hubs, rims, brakes and bottom bracket were like magnets for this snow and it quickly built up, adding several pounds to the bike. I thought that the Orbea Alma would ride better in the snow. Wrong. It just spun and spun on top of the snow, never able to get purchase. I needed skinny tires that could cut through the snow down to the ground.

We lined up and the starters told us that we will only have 2 laps instead of a 30 minute race and then sends us off. Getting some momentum took a while and hammering didn't work because you would spin out if you applied too much torque.

The course would have been nice under ideal conditions. A couple switchbacks, a sand pit, a medium length climb and barrier sections with 3 barriers instead of just 2. During the climb on lap one I hopped off the bike and ran faster than the two guys ahead of my rode/spun it. A downhill left turn was interesting because my breaks were working at about 20% efficiency; it was more of a controlled skid.

After the first lap I was in 4th place between the usual CHICROSS suspects. Lap two was a bit easier to ride as the snow was displaced, lines were created and the tires could get to the dirt. I passed Aspen who was hindered by a slipping seat, and I overtook 2nd who broke a chain (Props to "Newt" for shouldering the bike and running the next 1.5 laps instead of DNFing).

I thought that the race was over when I came in after lap number two, but the RD decided to let us go for three. I tried to chase 1st down but I couldn't do it and the race finished in the same order as the Jackson Park Chicross (Zoller, Yuska, Gorry).

Thanks to Aspen for the encouragement during the race. Unfortunately I didn't have enough in the tank, but I got what I needed, 7 upgrade points so I can move up to Cat3. It is usually the races in these crazy conditions that you will remember the most. I will always remember the '06 Chicross Championship at Montrose Harbor and the insane iced over course and chilling winds. It will be interesting to see what Mother Nature has in store for us this Sunday.

No comments: